Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, was detained at the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in Abuja on Monday night after hours of interrogation over an alleged N432 billion corruption probe.
El-Rufai, a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), is also expected to face criminal prosecution over the alleged bugging of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu’s phone.
The former governor, who arrived at the commission’s Jabi headquarters around 10am in response to an invitation, was grilled over allegations arising from the 2024 report of the Kaduna State House of Assembly which accused his administration of misappropriating loans, violating due process in contract awards and plunging the state into heavy debt.
His appearance at the EFCC’s office was, however, trailed by two groups of protesters, some against and others in his support.
El-Rufai had reportedly arrived at the EFCC facility earlier in the day, accompanied by hundreds of supporters, a development that led to heightened security presence in the area and heavy traffic congestion along the Jabi-Airport Road corridor.
There was also a mild scuffle when some of the persons who accompanied El-Rufai were prevented from entering the commission’s office, despite their insistence.
The scenario escalated when operatives moved to disperse the crowd. Shortly after teargas canisters were discharged, fumes drifted towards the nearby Federal Medical Centre, causing distress among vulnerable patients, including pregnant women and children, receiving treatment.
“The commission has been investigating him for about a year now. As a commission, we don’t just rush to invite suspects. Persons accused are always the last; that is after we might have done our investigation to an advanced stage.
“We are investigating him on the allegations against him by the Kaduna State Assembly,” a senior EFCC official, pleading anonymity said.
Asked whether El-Rufai would regain his freedom, the official said the former Kaduna State governor may not be released on Monday.
The EFCC spokesman, Dele Oyewale, confirmed that the former governor honoured the commission’s invitation but declined further comments on the nature of the interrogation or the next line of action.
The detention marks a dramatic escalation in the legal troubles confronting the outspoken former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, whose recent public criticism of the Federal Government and security agencies has triggered fresh political tensions.
Alleged N423bn misappropriation
The EFCC interrogation is rooted in the report of the Kaduna State House of Assembly’s ad hoc committee constituted in 2024 to investigate finances, loans and contracts awarded between 2015 and 2023 under El-Rufai’s administration.
Presenting the committee’s report during plenary last year, the committee chairman, Henry Zacharia, alleged that most of the loans obtained by the El-Rufai administration within the eight years were not utilised for the purposes for which they were secured.
While receiving the report, the Speaker of the House, Yusuf Dahiru Leman, alleged that about N423bn was siphoned under the El-Rufai administration, leaving Kaduna State with heavy financial liabilities and a rising debt profile.
The committee recommended the investigation and prosecution of the former governor and several members of his cabinet over alleged abuse of office, award of contracts without due process, diversion of public funds, money laundering and reckless borrowing.
The Assembly subsequently endorsed a petition to the EFCC and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, urging them to take up the matter.
Beyond the N423bn allegation, the legislative report also referenced disputed cash payments and contracts amounting to over N155m, as well as the alleged diversion of N1.37bn earmarked for a light rail project. It also cited the purported laundering of N64.8m by senior aides.
El-Rufai has consistently denied the allegations, describing the probe as politically motivated and insisting that all loans obtained during his tenure were duly appropriated and applied to infrastructural development, education reforms, healthcare upgrades and security interventions.
However, Monday’s detention suggests that anti-graft agencies have moved beyond preliminary review to active interrogation.
Ribadu’s bugged phone
As the EFCC grilled the former governor over financial allegations, the Federal Government filed criminal charges against him before the Federal High Court in Abuja over alleged unlawful interception of the phone communications of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.
The three-count charge, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026 and filed under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment Act, 2024 and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003, accused El-Rufai of admitting during a television interview that he and unnamed associates unlawfully intercepted Ribadu’s communications.
According to the charge sheet, the alleged admission was made on February 13, 2026, when El-Rufai appeared as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja.
In Count One, the Federal Government alleged that El-Rufai “did admit during the interview that you and your cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu,” an offence said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment Act, 2024.
Count Two accused him of stating during the same interview that he knew and was associated with an individual who unlawfully intercepted the NSA’s phone communications without reporting the person to relevant security agencies, contrary to Section 27(b) of the Act.
Count Three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026 in Abuja, used technical equipment or systems that compromised public safety and national security by unlawfully intercepting Ribadu’s phone communications, an offence punishable under Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
The prosecution claimed that the alleged act, which the defendant reportedly admitted to during the television interview, instilled “reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians.”
No date had been fixed for his arraignment as of press time.
The criminal charges stem directly from El-Rufai’s appearance on Arise TV last Friday, where he claimed he learnt of an alleged plan to arrest him through a leaked conversation from the NSA’s phone.
“Ribadu made the call, because we listened to their calls. The government thinks that they are the only ones who listen to calls. But we also have our ways. He made the call, he gave the order that they should arrest me.
“That technically is illegal. I know, but the government does it all the time. They listen to our calls all the time without a court order. But someone tapped his phone and told us that he gave the order,” he said.
The disclosure sent shockwaves through political and security circles, with analysts warning that if substantiated, the interception could amount to a grave breach of national security protocol.
Presidential aides were quick to react. The Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, accused El-Rufai of attempting to create political tension and divert attention from corruption allegations in Kaduna State.
He wrote that the former governor’s actions were meant to “create political tension in the country, create an atmosphere of fear and unrest, and then damage the government through deliberate misinformation” and “divert attention from his domestic problems in Kaduna State, where he is facing massive corruption allegations.”
In Nigeria, unauthorised phone tapping is a serious offence.
According to the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act 2015, offenders can face up to 10 years imprisonment, fines of up to N10m or both.
Under Section 12 on unauthorised interception, individuals who illegally intercept non-public communications (phone calls, emails, etc.) face a prison term of up to two years, a fine of up to N5m or both.
Recent interpretations, however, suggest that in cases involving related, more serious access offences, penalties could be extended to five years.
Unauthorised recording of private conversations, on the other hand, can lead to up to two years in prison while failure to report an illegal interception can lead to charges under the Act.
Dadiyata case reopened
In a parallel development, the Department of State Services (DSS) has reopened investigations into the 2019 disappearance of Dr. Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata, and has begun probing El-Rufai and his sons over the case.
Dadiyata, a lecturer at the Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State, was declared missing on August 1, 2019, after gunmen reportedly took him from his residence in Kaduna. His whereabouts remain unknown nearly seven years later.
The DSS had reportedly seized El-Rufai’s passport at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, to prevent him from travelling abroad while investigations are ongoing.
“The DSS has reopened the case of the 2019 disappearance in Kaduna of a renowned government critic, Abubakar Idris, better known as Dadiyata, and several other cases of missing persons.
“El’Rufai is fully aware that the DSS is investigating him and his two sons for Dadiyata’s kidnapping. That was why he rushed to the ARISE news channel to cook up stories about (Umar) Ganduje and the confessions of a ghost police officer, all in a bid to divert attention.
“He is aware of the security implications of seizing his passport. He knows he can’t officially leave the country, which is very bad for him. Several laws place a responsibility on citizens to assist with crime reporting and prevention.
“Section 123 of the Criminal Code Act prohibits the willful destruction or concealment of evidence, while the Criminal Code Act and the Penal Code, applicable to Kaduna State, deals with covering up treason, destroying evidence, or aiding suspects,” an unnamed official said.
Another unnamed officila said investigators were examining social media posts made by El-Rufai’s sons, Bello and Bashir, following Dadiyata’s disappearance.
The official said, “Former governor El’Rufai claimed that until Dadiyata’s disappearance he didn’t know that anybody with such a name existed. However, social media posts by his sons, Bello and Bashir, suggest otherwise. Posts by his sons on ‘X’ clearly showed that Dadiyata was a problem for their family.
“That is why Bello and Bashir will be invited along with their father to help in our investigations.”
El-Rufai has maintained publicly that he neither knew Dadiyata personally nor had any reason to target him, insisting that the missing lecturer was a critic of the Kano State Government at the time.
Abuja, Kaduna protests
Monday’s developments triggered street actions in both Abuja and Kaduna.
At the EFCC headquarters, hundreds of demonstrators under the aegis of the Mega National Movement for Good Governance stormed the commission’s premises, demanding a thorough probe into the alleged N432bn corruption case.
Carrying placards with inscriptions such as “Answer the charges El-Rufai” and “El-Rufai not above the law,” the protesters attempted to march into the commission’s premises but were stopped by security operatives.
Addressing reporters, the group’s spokesman, Muhammad Abdullahi, said, “We reiterate its firm position that the ongoing prosecution of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, remains a lawful and constitutional matter strictly between him and the Government of Kaduna State.
“This issue should not be reduced to a mere political drama or emotional manipulation. It is a question of accountability and stewardship of public trust. The Kaduna State House of Assembly Ad-Hoc Committee Report (2024) raised serious concerns regarding financial management, public debt profile, and contract procedures under the previous administration.
“It is also a matter of public record that some former appointees and close allies — including Jafaru Sani, Jimmy Lawal, Bashir Saidu, and Samuel Aruwa — are already in custody or undergoing investigation in connection with these allegations.”
He added, “We emphasise that this is not about persecution; it is about prosecution grounded in law. The courtroom remains the proper venue for vindication. If El-Rufai is confident in his integrity, he should allow the judicial process to run its full course. Let integrity, not rhetoric, determine the outcome.”
Responding, EFCC spokesman Dele Oyewale said, “The EFCC recognises the right of Nigerians to lawful protest. As far as the EFCC is concerned, the right thing will be done. Our processes and procedures will be followed.”
At the same time, El-Rufai’s supporters gathered near the commission, chanting solidarity songs and holding placards reading, “El-Rufai is a citizen, not a subject” and “We stand with El-Rufai. We stand for law.”
In Kaduna, hundreds of protesters under the Coalition of Civil Society Organisations stormed the State House of Assembly demanding updates on the legislative probe.
“We are here to ask a legitimate question on behalf of the people: What progress has been made in the ongoing legislative probe, and what steps are being taken to ensure that justice is not delayed?” said Aliyu Muhammad, one of the conveners.
Responding, Speaker Yusuf Dahiru Leman said, “We share your pains and stand by our documented findings… Anybody found wanting will face the full wrath of the law. No one is above the law.”
Victims demand accountability
Adding another layer to the crisis, a coalition of terror victims in Kaduna State issued a statement calling for accountability over alleged human rights abuses during El-Rufai’s eight-year tenure.
The statement was signed on behalf of the victims by human rights defenders, including former chairman of the National Human Rights Commission, Professor Chidi Odinkalu.
“We speak today (Monday) as representatives of countless individuals, families, and communities who endured eight years of profound hardship, terror, fear, and loss under the governorship of Nasir El-Rufai in Kaduna State (2015–2023).
“Our sole demand is accountability under the rule of law: thorough, independent investigations; prosecutions where evidence warrants; and closure for traumatized victims and families,” Odinkalu said.
The coalition cited cases, including the abduction and killing of Dr. Maiwada Galadima and the disappearance of Dadiyata, insisting that justice must be pursued.
Discover more from TheTimes Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.









