By Editor
The Presidency has confirmed the release of the students abducted from Government Girls Secondary School, Maga, in Kebbi State.
Presidential spokesman, Bayo Onanuga, confirmed their release in a statement on Tuesday night.
The students were abducted from their school premises last week, while Vice-Principal of the school and another staff were shot dead.
Terrorists had struck at the school at dawn on November 17, 2025 and abducted the girls, moments after a military detachment left the premises.
While 25 girls were abducted during the attack, one of the girls escaped that night leaving the remaining 24 in captivity for 10 day before their release.
The incident sparked anger as stakeholders wondered the rationale for the withdrawal of the military men, just before the children were taken hostage.
“President Bola Tinubu has welcomed the release today of the 24 schoolgirls abducted by terrorists in Maga Kebbi last Monday.
“Terrorists struck at the school at dawn on November 17 and abducted the girls, moments after a military detachment left the premises.
“The Kebbi incident triggered some other copycat kidnappings in Eruku in Kwara State and Papiri in Niger State.
“All 38 kidnapped victims in Eruku were freed on Sunday. The same day, the Niger State chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria said 50 of the missing students of the Catholic School in Niger have been found in their parents’ homes.
“President Tinubu applauded the security agents for all the efforts made to secure freedom for all the victims taken away by the terrorists.
“He tasked the security agents to make more efforts to rescue the remaining students still being held captive,” Onanuga said.
The statement quoted Tinubu as saying, “I am relieved that all the 24 girls have been accounted for. Now, we must put as a matter of urgency more boots on the ground in the vulnerable areas to avert further incidents of kidnapping. My government will offer all the assistance needed to achieve this.”
Also, while all the 38 worshippers at the Eruku Church in Kwara State have been rescued, the security agencies are still working round the clock to rescue the over 250 school children and their teachers who are still in the custody of the bandits in Niger State.
The President had earlier on Tuesday, directed a comprehensive coverage of the forests around Niger and Kwara, in a bid to rescue the school children and their teachers.
Onanuga noted however that Niger State Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria CAN had earlier said 50 of the missing students of the Catholic School in Niger had been found in their parents’ homes.
Following the ugly incident, President Tinubu had cancelled his trips to South Africa and Angola for the just concluded G20 summit and the AU- EU African summit.
The events were however attended by Vice President Kashim Shettima as President Tinubu stayed back to coordinate the rescue exercise as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed forces.
The President last Friday, ordered Bello Matawalle, the Minister of State for Defence to relocate to Kebbi State to coordinate the rescue exercise.
…Gov Idris ‘receives rescued schoolgirls, says ‘No ransom was paid’
Meanwhile, Kebbi State Governor Nasir Idris has received the 25 Maga schoolgirls rescued from their abductors.
Idris, who confirmed that the girls are in good health, said that, contrary to reports, no ransom was paid.
He said the security agencies acted on the order of President Bola Tinubu to rescue the girls unhurt.
“No Kobo was paid. The military, DSS and other security forces combed the forest and rescued them unhurt,” he said.
The governor thanked the military, Department of State Services (DSS), Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and the police for their efforts in the rescue operation.
Governor Idris also commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for not relenting in his efforts to ensure the safe return of the girls and to secure the country.
He thanked clerics who prayed ceaselessly for the success of the operation and also thanked eminent citizens like the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, APC governors and the Inspector General of Police (IGP) who visited the state during the trying period.
The governor commended the schoolgirls’ parents for their patience and for having confidence in the government that their children would be rescued unhurt.
Discover more from TheTimes Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.






